Article 8.1.1 of ICZN

Nigel Robinson nrobinson at YORK.BIOSIS.ORG
Fri Aug 2 12:22:00 CDT 2002

explain the Zoological Record indexing policy and the Index to
Organism Names database.

As with all new names, BIOSIS makes every effort to index new names
published in hobbyist journals or indeed any type of publication in
Zoological Record.  However, this type of publication is less central
to ZR's overall coverage, which is aimed at the professional
zoologist, and while some more popular publications are known to
contain new taxa, and are therefore monitored, a small number may
escape coverage.  We estimate that well over 90% of all new names are
captured in ZR and would encourage authors or readers of publications
where the small number of omitted new names occur to forward
notification or review copies to BIOSIS for indexing at:

Coverage Group
BIOSIS UK
54 Micklegate
York
YO1 6WF
United Kingdom
Email: helpdesk at york.biosis.org

Since 1997 when it was proposed that Zoological Record played a role in a
new names register, BIOSIS have provided a free web based look up service
for names indexed in Zoological Record.  Moss, Fungus, Bacteria and Algae
names were also added from partner databases. This was created as a proof
of concept and as such has not been updated recently.  We are currently
working on updating the database and will then maintain it with regular
updates going forward. We hope to also update the names from our partners
and expand the list to cover other groups in future.  We hope to release the
new version in early autumn.

We will notify the TAXACOM list when the new version is available and at that
point would welcome comments from the list members.

Nigel Robinson
Nigel Robinson, Manager, ZR Product Manager
BIOSIS UK, 54 Micklegate, York, YO1 6WF, United Kingdom
E Mail: nrobinson at york.biosis.org
Tel: +44 (0)1904 642816        Fax: +44 (0)1904 612793
www.biosis.org

This email is intended for the addressee(s) only.
If you are not an intended recipient please inform the sender.
BIOSIS UK accepts no responsibility for statements clearly
those of the sender and not expressly made on behalf of the
Company, or for damage caused by any transmitted viruses.