help with Linnaean Latin

Albertine C. Ellis-Adam ellis at SCIENCE.UVA.NL
Fri Aug 9 17:27:36 CDT 2002

Dear TAXACOM members:

As a part of an EU project on eventual interbreeding of wild and cultivated
salad, a colleague and I run through the nomenclatural history of the taxa
involved.
In Species Plantarum (1753, pg 795) Linnaeus gives the diagnosis of Lactuca
sativa. We did not succeed in translating the last line:

Culturae mangorico forte producta ex proximis.

We would be grateful for help.
If necessary I can provide a scan of the page.

Thanks in advance, Albertine Ellis

 drs Albertine C. Ellis - Adam
University of Amsterdam
Hugo de Vries Laboratorium
Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics
dept. Experimental Plant Systematics
mail address: Pb 94062 / 1090 GB Amsterdam
visiting address: Kruislaan 318 / 1098 SM Amsterdam
Phone: xx (0)20 5257822 / Fax: xx (0)20 5257662
 e-mail: ellis at science.uva.nl