oviraptors are birds (update)

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 12 22:23:40 CDT 2002

Dear All,
     You may recall that I stuck out my neck back in February, and placed
the oviraptorosaurian dinosaurs by the confuciusornithid birds.  Although
Maryanska et al.'s paper appeared shortly after that (and they had
independently concluded oviraptorosaurs are birds more derived than
Archaeopteryx), their conclusions were criticized for including too few
taxa.
     Recently, Toby White (who runs the "Vertebrate Notes" site) added more
taxa to their analysis, and he came up with results that are in agreement
with my views and those of Maryanska et al., 2002.  Although this will
remain controversial for quite some time, at least one more voice has been
added to this minority viewpoint.  A more extensive cladistic analysis is
still in the works.  Toby posted his findings to the DML over the weekend,
which you may read in the DML archives, if you wish, by clicking on the
following link:
          http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2002Aug/msg00307.html

         ------Cheers, Ken