gender of -opsis?

Barry Roth barry_roth at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 14 15:28:27 CDT 2002

I'm opening my mouth before going to an authoritative reference here, but I seem to recall that nouns ending in -opsis (which means semblance, from the Greek for "face") take their gender from the stem noun to which this suffix is attached.  So some "-opsis" words will be masculine, some feminine, and some neuter.
This doesn't explain why one author would treat the same word as of different gender from another author (except that they are playing by different rules!), or why the same author would attach species-epithets of different gender to the same genus name.
Barry
 Doug Yanega wrote:I'm confused. I was under the impression that the ending -opsis was
feminine. I just came across a case where a single author named
several species in the genus Calliopsis, some of which seemed fine
(gilva, crypta, fulgida), and another which does not (limbus). In the
etymologies, he states - for example - that gilva is from the Latin
gilvus, and fulgida is from Latin fulgidus. He also states that
limbus is from the Latin limbus. Nothing is stated about it being a
noun in apposition. Should this not also agree with the generic
gender?