gender of -opsis?

John Noyes jsn at NHM.AC.UK
Thu Aug 15 10:11:46 CDT 2002

Dear All,

>From Doug Yanega:

>On a related thought, how many people out there would strenuously
>object if the ICZN declared, on date X, that from date X all epithets
>were forever fixed in their present state, and all future epithets
>were fixed at time of publication? This would certainly make
>databasing a whole lot easier, if nothing else.

I would go a step further and "strenuously" propose that we should revert
to the original lithography of a name (even obvious misspellings with a
very few exceptions) - that would be a whole lot easier that what Doug
proposes. This would have the vote of most entomologists at the NHM, London.

John

Entomology Department, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, South
Kensington, London, SW7 5BD, UK

Tel. +44 (0)207-942-5594  Fax: +44 (0)207-942-5229

INTERNET: jsn at NHM.ac.uk

Interactive catalogue and biological database of World Chalcidoidea on CD:

Contact the publisher: DickyS._Yu at telus.net, or Dicky S. Yu, P.O.Box 48205,
Bentall Centre, Vancouver B.C., V7X 1N8, CANADA;
see also www.taxapad.com

Encyrtidae of Costa Rica:
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/science/intro/entom/project2/index.html

Course on taxonomy and biology of parasitic Hymenoptera:
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/entomology/hymcours