gender of -opsis?

Margaret K. Thayer mthayer at FIELDMUSEUM.ORG
Thu Aug 15 09:58:54 CDT 2002

Yes, but "limbatus" is not spelled "limbus" -- it is a different word.  My
point was that I found no evidence that the specific epithet "limbus" that
was explained by the author as "from the Latin limbus" could reasonably be
interpreted as making the epithet an adjective (and thus variable in
ending).  Now, if the author had explicitly claimed it to be an adjective
(despite the apparent absence of such a Latin adjective), one might be able
to argue that it should be treated as such and changed to "limba" in
combination with a feminine generic name.  But that isn't the case.

In answer to your implied question, one could not justify changing the name
from limbus to limbatus (or limbata) under the ICZN.

Margaret Thayer