-ops family names (plus bivalves)

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 16 16:31:22 CDT 2002

Dear All,
      Just wanted to thank Margaret for the information on "-ops"-based
family names.  I'm just wondering (outloud) if it wouldn't be helpful for
someone to apply to the ICZN to formally place Ceratopsidae on the official
list of family names, and place Ceratopidae on the official list of rejected
names (and perhaps the same for Protoceratopsidae vs. Protoceratopidae).
     Something to think about I guess.  But then again, many
dinosaurologists are big supporters of PhyloCode, and they might ignore a
ICZN decision anyway.  Like Margaret said, predicting code changes is
difficult, and having a whole new PhyloCode is just going to multiply the
uncertainties.   If only ICZN rulings didn't take so darn long (it took us
over 5 years to get Mesoplodon on the official list of genera).  Makes me
tired just thinking about it.
P.S.  By the way, discussions about bivalves and molluscan evolution are
taking place on the "molluscalist" newsgroup through UC-Berkeley.  So I
guess I'll get back to that debate, since the "bivalves-first" hypothesis is
meeting with stiff resistance (no big surprise).    :-)