"arcane" rules/was gender of -opsis

Steve at Steve at
Wed Aug 21 10:42:00 CDT 2002

I'm sorry, but I'm still not convinced that learning Latin grammar helps me
be a better systematist in any meaningful or important way (outside of our
small "club").

As for falling down "slippery slopes", common sense is the most powerful
tool we have.  Obviously building a new house because a light bulb needs
replacing isn't very clever.  Same with making changes to the Code - it must
be done carefully and with thought and the bulk of it is rock-solid.  But
being a slave to history will get us nowhere.  And while all systematic
research can be done by spending years in the library photocopying old
literature we may not need to (at least in many cases) as there may be other
ways of getting the job done in a much quicker but no less rigorous way.
It's these methods that need to be explored.