taxonomy injected into inventories [was: "arcane"]

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at ISTAR.CA
Wed Aug 21 16:36:52 CDT 2002

Ron Gatrelle wrote:

> [...]
Lepidoptera Survey (TILS), have used a back door approach.  By doing
field and status surveys for the US Forest Service and Fish & Wildlife
it has provide the opportunity to inject taxonomic elements into the
final reports.

* but as some have found, it only takes a minute to write "Novisuccinea
ovalis," but it can take months to write "Novisuccinea claytoni, n. sp."
If you're scarcely paid enough to do the field work, and only meagrely
paid for the one-minute report on the specimens, the house can get
pretty chilly while you're taking the month to write the "n. sp."

Injecting taxonomy into inventories may work if you've got a really
hard-nosed business manager fronting for the taxonomist to sympathetic
funders, but it increasingly seems, in Ontario at least, that an
interest in any species not officially 'listed' as endangered is
regarded as the boolean 'or' between poverty and emigration.

fred.
       Eastern    Ontario    Biodiversity    Museum
        Box 1860, Kemptville, Ontario, Canada K0G 1J0
           Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
Frederick W. Schueler, Aleta Karstad, Jennifer Helene Schueler
RR#2 Bishops Mills, K0G 1T0 on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain
       18TVE 446 687, 44* 52'N 75* 42'W (613)258-3107
                 http://www.home.istar.ca/~bckcdb
subscribe to the Eastern Ontario Natural History list-serve
by sending "subscribe eobm-nat" in the body of a message to
<majordomo at mail2.storm.ca>