ICZN Code questions

Thu Aug 22 12:34:53 CDT 2002

> The Green Book is a good Code; it is the best we could get given
> the time.  Many of the issues that have been posted last week (I
> was on vacation) were presented to the ICZN, some were even in
> the draft version (such as original spelling as the invariant
> epithet), but in the end they all failed. And part of that was
> because the digital community was not understood nor fully
> represented. Oh, well ... ancient history now.

My question is, with the incredible (and incredibly recent) transformation
of the digital age; including it's broader acceptance among those once
branded as Ludites -- has the time yet come to revisit some of these
once-failed ideas again in a formal ICZN context?  Anyone with any sence of
perspective *KNOWS* we're inevitably headed that way anyway.  The question
is, are the nerves still too raw?  The technology not yet fully matured?
Should we wait another year or decade?  Or, is it now time for the case be
built again?

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle
Ichthyology, Bishop Museum
1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252
email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
"The opinions expressed are those of the sender, and not necessarily those
of Bishop Museum."