ICZN Code questions

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at MOBOT.ORG
Fri Aug 23 07:30:00 CDT 2002

Well, I figure that book and magazine publishing in digital format simply
hasn't attained durable media, unchangeable and indefinitely archived
content, non-proprietary format, and other requirements that would give an
electronic publication the same usefulness we have in paper copy.

The amazing searchability and broad dissemination of electronic copies is
not enough to make up for this lack. For example, CD-Roms have a lifetime of
say 20-30 years; who will copy the taxonomic information on these to new
media; who will be able to read them with Win2025 or a microchip player or
WordXML?

Although the government and libraries might take the lead in developing a
universal medium and some standard universally searchable format (HTML4?
XML?) to replace hardcopy scientific literature, I think commercial ventures
are being relied upon, and I haven't seen such a venture that I would trust
as a long-term repository of taxonomic information.

Richard H. Zander
Missouri Botanical Garden
PO Box 299
St. Louis, MO 36166-0299