ARGH! Electronic archives yet again (Re: ICZN Code questions)

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at MOBOT.ORG
Fri Aug 23 14:25:04 CDT 2002

So, let's see, Doug, you think GeneBank is a good model for publishing, say,
new scientific names (I get to pick on you now). There are lots of things
good about this model:

It uses the Web (thus is universally distributed),
assumes the media will be refreshed as the hardware wears out (that's great!
it won't lose data though time),
we can get to it with html (I personally doubt that html will be unreadable
soon because even xml is not a replacement),
and it's kind of searchable.

But we have a presupposition that publishing new names requires a
publication, one that is permanently archived and incorruptible. Shall we
change this? To what extent?

That is a big leap. Can we slap a whole standard publication in electronic
form into one or more fields of some super database, maybe with xml? How
would we insure that the electronically published data are not corrupted or
modified? Are we ready for this?

I think the GeneBank model is a good start for discussion, but I would not
publish a new species on GeneBank. Or in any of the present electronic
journals published in PDF or other proprietary formats.

R.

Richard H. Zander
Missouri Botanical Garden
PO Box 299