john Grehan jgrehan at SCIENCEBUFF.ORG
Mon Dec 2 18:47:39 CST 2002

I used a software called 'Paxit' that allows one to calculate the area from
an image by using a cursor to trace out the required boundaries. The
program would calculate the area as well as the circumference in several
units (including mm and microns).

John Grehan

At 09:44 AM 11/29/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm looking for an application that will permit me to accurately outline an
>irregular shape (a fly's wing, cell's borders, etc.), and, when the outline
>is closed, will compute and display the area enclosed in centimeters,
>millimeters, or microns. I envision using some sort of stylus to outline the
>area, but am open to suggestions.  I'd prefer an application suitable for
>Macintosh use, but will welcome info on PC applications as well. Replies may
>be made to the net or directly to my email address. Thanks, R. J. Ferry
>rjsrstex at

John Grehan
Director of Science and Collections
Buffalo Museum of Science
1020 Humboldt Parkway
Buffalo, New York 14211-1293
Voice 716-896-5200 x372
Fax 716-897-6723
jgrehan at

More information about the Taxacom mailing list