new combination?

Barry M. OConnor bmoc at UMICH.EDU
Tue Dec 31 17:08:05 CST 2002

At 3:37 PM -0600 12/31/02, Andy Deans wrote:
>A quick and hopefully easy taxonomy question for anyone who can help
>'s the scenario:
>A species is described in genus X in 1900, then transfered to genus Q in
>1905.  Someone wrongly (in my opinion) transfers this species back to genus
>X in 1912.  Now I want to reassign it to genus Q again.  Is that still a
>"new combination"?  If not, what's the appropriate term/abbreviation to use
>in my manuscript?  I appreciate the help!
I don't think it's a new anything.  I would simply list it in the
combination you prefer (presumably with synonymy if this is a taxonomic
work), and give the history and rationale in the discussion. - Barry

Barry M. OConnor
Curator & Professor             phone: (734) 763-4354
Museum of Zoology               FAX: (734) 763-4080
University of Michigan          e-mail: bmoc at
1109 Geddes Ave.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1079  USA

More information about the Taxacom mailing list