localities

Stacey Smith sdsmith4 at STUDENTS.WISC.EDU
Mon Oct 21 10:29:14 CDT 2002

I agree with Una that one has to be extremely careful when reconstructing
plant distributions from locality data on herbarium specimens, etc.  When I
do this sort of work I use the online databases, the older gazetters and
maps of the areas simultaneously; I always check that the locality
corresponds to a place on the map which is within the range of the species
in question and at approximately the right elevation.  Una's right; there
are often many places with the same name even in the same state or province
and it can be tricky to figure out which one is correct.
Stacey