Vespina

Barry M. OConnor bmoc at UMICH.EDU
Tue Oct 29 10:23:30 CST 2002

At 3:49 PM +0100 10/29/02, Susanne Schulmeister wrote:
>True. One of my coauthors, Jim Carpenter, pointed this out to me, but I
>still argued that we can't ignore a name that's out there simply
>because we do not like how and why it was formed....

Actually, we can, as long as it's for an animal taxon above the family
group, because such names aren't regulated by the ICZN.  You are certainly
correct (as reiterated by Ken) that this lack of a rule has led to a great
proliferation of higher category names.  The higher classification of mites
is an abominable mess because of this. - Barry

So many mites, so little time!
Barry M. OConnor
Professor & Curator             phone: (734) 763-4354
Museum of Zoology               FAX: (734) 763-4080
University of Michigan          e-mail: bmoc at umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1079  USA