Private collections of museum curators

Eric Gouda E.J.Gouda at BIO.UU.NL
Tue Oct 1 13:42:41 CDT 2002

At Tuesday 1-10-2002, you wrote:
>Date:    Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:50:38 -0500
>From:    Alexander Riedel <ariedel at UNLSERVE.UNL.EDU>
>Subject: Re: Private collections of museum curators

<snip>

>Another aspect: If I am Entomology Collection Manager - am I allowed to have
>a private collection of stamps ? There is no conflict there. How about a
>private collection of shells ? I imagine some eyebrows are being raised now.
>And how about if I spend most of my time during my duties on a scarab
>collection and I wish to work on my weevil collection in the evenings ? Of
>course my point is that you can not draw a clear line. Any such restrictions
>will affect your fundamental rights.
>
>I am wondering why someone would demand abandonment of legal private
>property - at first for all private persons, then for all museum employees.
>To me this appears as a pure form of communism in a restricted field. The
>fundamental ideas of Marx were quite reasonable - but we all know that they
>did not work out well in practice. Maybe, as a German I see this aspect more
>clearly than others.

I think there is no problem in having private collections (when the
specimen are not protected by law), the only thing is if Types are allowed
to be in private collections, this is a real problem. Also when specimen
are mentioned in publications, these "must" (or better) be available to the
scientific society. You have the responsibility to make scientific
publications checkable. To my idea, that is the difference between a
scientific publication and a fairy-tale.

+++
    ____               ____   E.J.Gouda at bio.uu.nl  http://www.uu.nl/botgard/
   Curator of UNIVERSITY BOTANIC GARDENS,  PO Box 80.162, NL-3508 TD UTRECHT
   \ Listowner: Alpine-L, Arisaema-L, Bromelia-L, DELTA-L, Passiflora-L    /
    \__         Penstemon-L, Trillium-L (at Nic.SurfNet.NL)             __/