photocopying, scanning herbarium sheets

Steven R. Manchester steven at FLMNH.UFL.EDU
Fri Oct 4 09:05:21 CDT 2002

>More than one botanist I know has taken to calling such photocopied
>(the 11" x 17" paper is conveniently about the same size as a
>standard herbarium sheets) or scanned-and-printed images "xerotypes"
>or "xeroxtypes." Monique Reed

I was taught never to turn an herbarium specimen upside down due to
the damage from pieces that will fall away from the sheet.  How does
one prepare photocopies or scans of herbarium sheets without causing
more damage than would have occurred by actually loaning the
specimens?
--
Dr. Steven R. Manchester
Curator of Paleobotany