Gray Index/Herbarium Pests

Deb Metsger debm at ROM.ON.CA
Fri Oct 4 10:04:30 CDT 2002

For those who are interested

Managing the Modern Herbarium  is pulblished by the Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections (SPNHC) and is distributed by University Products Inc.   The order form is available on the SPNHC website www.spnhc.org

Chapter 4 - Sensitivity of Seeds in Herbarium Collections to Storage Conditions, and Implications for Thermal Pest Control Methods,  by Tom Strang  makes reference to the implications of low temperature pest control on DNA recovery from specimens.

Deborah Metsger
Assistant Curator, Botany
Centre for Biodiversity and Conservation Biology
Royal Ontario Museum
Toronto, Ontario
M5S 2C6

debm at rom.on.ca

>>> "Donna I. Ford-Werntz" <dford2 at WVU.EDU> 10/03/02 12:30pm >>>
Thanks for all the great feedback (both posted and to me directly); I knew
that I could count on my colleagues to come through!  (The choices for me
are clear: IPNI and deep freezing, respectively).  For more about pest
control, the papers by Strang & by Barringer in SPNHC's "Managing the
Modern Herbarium" (Metsger, ed., 1999) were recommended (now if only I
could find in what box the movers packed my copy...).  I'm compiling a list
of the various freezing procedures I received and will be happy to send it
to anyone wanting more specific details.

Donna I. Ford-Werntz     West Virginia Univ.

Herbarium Curator (WVA)  Box 6057

Assoc. Prof. Biol.       Morgantown, WV 26506

5230 Life Sciences       293-5201 X31549
email: dford2 at wvu.edu    fax: (304)293-6363

Web site at http://www.as.wvu.edu/biology/