Passing of D. Elmo Hardy (fwd)

Sabina F Swift sabina at HAWAII.EDU
Fri Oct 18 17:47:55 CDT 2002

I thought I'd share this sad news of Elmo Hardy's passing away. After all,
he was an internationally known dipterist from Hawaii. Aloha, Elmo.
Sabina

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:09:31 -1000
From: J. Kenneth Grace <kennethg at hawaii.edu>
To: PEPS Faculty & Staff <kennethg at hawaii.edu>
Subject: Passing of D. Elmo Hardy

I have just learned that Entomology Emeritus Professor D. Elmo Hardy passed
away yesterday from complications related to pneumonia. Elmo had been
hospitalized for the past six weeks.  He was born in 1914, and retired from
the University of Hawaii in 1981, although he has remained quite active
through the past two decades.  Elmo published 235 papers and books on
dipteran systematics, described over 3000 new species, and has received
numerous awards, including the ESA Excellence in Research Award in 1976,
and the University of Hawaii Board of Regents Medal of Distinction in 1998.

Elmo is survived by his grown children and his wife, Illse.  Services will
be held in Honolulu, Tuesday, 11:00-12:00, Oct. 22 at Borthwick Mortuary.
In lieu of flowers, his family requests that donations be made to the D.
Elmo Hardy Scholarship Fund with the University of Hawaii Foundation, 2444
Dole Street, Honolulu, HI 96822.

J. Kenneth Grace                                  Email:    kennethg at hawaii.edu
Professor & Chair                                  Phone:  1(808)956-6737
Dept. of Plant & Environmental
         Protection Sciences (PEPS)
University of Hawaii at Manoa                 Fax:      1(808)956-2460 (lab)
3050 Maile Way, Room 310                                1(808)956-2428 (dept.)
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822-2271

PEPS Department: http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/peps
Termite Project: http://www2.hawaii.edu/~entomol