Fwd: data localities

Doug Yanega dyanega at POP.UCR.EDU
Mon Oct 21 10:59:52 CDT 2002

Chris Thompson wrote:

>Give the student a break. He is just learning.

??? Exactly. That's why I thought he'd find the Geonames webpage to
be a useful resource. I found "Omiltemi" in it instantly, so I
assumed he was unaware of the site or possibly not familiar with the
routine of trying wild cards or variant spellings (as in this case).
I was certainly not chastising him. Besides, think of the old "teach
a man to fish..." axiom.

>First, students may find the Getty Gazetter more friendly. So, try
>http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabulary/tgn/index.html

Which is considerably less flexible and has fewer recognized place
names - definitely a second choice.

>So, for the Biologia material, use Selander & Vaurie (1962, American
>Museum Novitates 2099) which covers all the localities mentioned in the
>Insecta portion of the Biologia.

Then wouldn't it be useful if someone would submit these localities
to the people doing the georeferencing websites? Then *EVERY*
biologist with a web connection would have access to them, instead of
just the handful which have copies of this paper. For instance, I'm
slowly building a database of P.H. Timberlake's collecting
localities, which will eventually be made available online - and
should be very useful since most everyone finds his hand-written
labels to be completely unintelligible, and some of the place names
are archaic (e.g., "4 miles E of Edom"). Resources like that are best
done electronically, whenever possible.

Peace,

            http://entmuseum9.ucr.edu/staff/yanega.html