data localities - a summary of the provided data

Silvio Shigueo Nihei ssnihei at BIO.UFPR.BR
Tue Oct 22 21:10:15 CDT 2002

  Dear Taxacomers,

Many thanks for everyone who quickly and kindly help me. To complement
the information provided by everyone and to help any other
student/professor who has some similar doubt, I have summarized the
available data, as follows bellow:

1) Mexico, Guerrero, Xucumanatlan: In fact, its correct spelling seems to be "Xocomanatlan". The complete location is Xocomanatlan/Chilpancingo de Los Bravo/Guerrero state/Mexico (Lat 17°33'N, Long 99°38'W). Xocomanatlan is about 22km West of Chilpancingo (capital of Guerrero state). The information present in SELANDER & VAURIE, 1962: Am. Mus. Novit. 2099:66 for this locality, as a "small settlement 2 miles north of Omilteme and essentially the same", seems to be very congruent with the above data.

2) Mexico, Omilteme: Probably, the locality refers to "Omiltemi" (or "Omiltemic"), at Chilpancingo de Los Bravo/Guerrero state/Mexico, with Lat 17°33´N and Long 99°42´W, and about 30km West of Chilpancingo.

3) Costa Rica, Mera: No data available, not even when contacting the Instituto Geografico Nacional (a Costa Rican governmental agency).

4) Argentina, Alto Paraná: There is some ambiguous data available on the provided e-sources (Gazeteers and other online databases). And, as the specimen's label data has no additional information, it is being very dificult to locate this locality. It can be any region of the Upper Paraná River, along Argentina's territory.

The sites suggested to search place names are:
http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabulary/tgn/index.html
http://gnpswww.nima.mil/geonames/GNS/index.jsp
http://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/world.htm

There is another on-line gazeteer I frequently use, that is:
http://www.calle.com/world/ [This one is also very usefull, since it provides besides the geocoordinates the maps containing the searched locality in different scales]

Kind regards and, again, many thanks,

Silvio Shigueo Nihei.

--