Sensu lato

Susanne Schulmeister susanne71_2000 at YAHOO.DE
Thu Oct 24 21:23:42 CDT 2002

 --- Dipteryx <dipteryx at FREELER.NL> schrieb:
> At the risk of stating the obvious it seems to me that "sensu lato"
> (in the wide sense) is used to refer more or less informally to a
> group, that  ...

the expressions sensu lato and sensu stricto are used formally as well.

And, Ken, they do not necessarily have to be used for competing
hypotheses.
In my group at least, the Tenthredinoidea sensu lato are comprised of
the Blasticotomidae plus the Tenthredinoidea sensu stricto.

Susanne

=====
Susanne Schulmeister
Division of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York, NY 10024

Opinions in this email are that of the sender, not the museum.