data localities: Dombe

Murray Fletcher murray.fletcher at AGRIC.NSW.GOV.AU
Fri Oct 25 08:20:05 CDT 2002

Giulio Cuccodoro's comment that labels can be fun reminds me of my
attempts to identify the type locality of the eurybrachyid planthopper
Navorillana bothrops Fennah (1964). Fennah named the genus after his
interpretation of the type locality from the handwritten label but there
is no locality called Navorillana in Australia. I originally thought it
might have been a misinterpretation of Maralinga considering that the
original data label was itself an interpretation of somebody's field
notes. Mick Webb at the Natural History Museum pointed me in the right
direction eventually after examining the type material. The collector was
Capt S.A. White who was a prominent South Australian ornithologist who
also collected insects. Musgrave (1932) lists two papers published in 1914
(one by A.M. Lea and the other by White himself) describing White's
excursions into Central Australia and the place he collected this species
was apparently "Moorillyana North Well". A discussion and illustrations of
Navorillana can be found at
http://www.agric.nsw.gov.au/Hort/ascu/fulgor/navorill.htm.

Fennah's generic name remains as a monument to poor handwriting.

Murray Fletcher

Dr Murray J. Fletcher
Director of the Collections
NSW Agricultural Scientific Collections Unit
Forest Road, Orange NSW 2800
AUSTRALIA

Telephone: +61-2-63913943
Fax: +61-2-63913899
Email: murray.fletcher at agric.nsw.gov.au
ASCU Website: http://www.agric.nsw.gov.au/Hort/ascu

The Australian Entomological Society is hosting the XXII International
Congress of Entomology
Brisbane, Australia 2004
VISIT THE ICE2004 WEBSITE: http://www.ccm.com.au/icoe/index.html

confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender.  If you have received this message in
error, please contact the sender.  Views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of their
organisation.