Sensu lato

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 25 17:22:40 CDT 2002

Hi Susanne,
    First, welcome back to the U.S., and good luck with those "confused"
ovipositing horntails.   Now for a couple of questions.  Would an
entomologist use both Tenthredinoidea sensu lato and sensu stricto formally
in a published classification?  If so, what would one call the whole
Tenthredinoidea (since the extinct Family Xyelotomidae splits off even
before Blasticotomidae)?  Maybe "sensu latissimo"?
      But I think you can see how this could potentially cause confusion,
plus more problems if you find yet another family that splits off even
before Xyelotomidae.  Although this is not a case of "competing hypotheses"
between authors, it is "competing usages" within a single classification.
I'm sure phylocode would mandate separate names, but I wonder if the ICZN
says anything about using two different usages in the same classification
(even if they are labelled sensu stricto and sensu lato)?  Perhaps I should
ask that last question on the ICZN list.
       ------- Cheers,   Ken