Hymenoptera classification

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 26 03:07:30 CDT 2002

Susanne,
     I'm glad I got you to wondering about this.  Actually you have three
(not two) different groupings named Tenthredinoidea in a nested series
(which I think ICZN probably would not recommend):
    (1) Tenthredinoidea s.str.
    (2) Tenthredinoidea sensu "medio?"
        (= Blasticotomidae + s.str.)
    (3) Tenthredinoidea sensu latissimo
        (= Xyelotomidae + s."medio")
     Just for fun, I threw together a preliminary classification (using the
Kinman System) of the basal eight clades of Hymenoptera (namely, the
paraphyletic "Symphyta").  I didn't fully code all of Clade 3
("Tenthredinoidea" sensu latissimo), because I am not yet sure of the exact
cladistic splitting sequence after Blasticotomidae (see below), but perhaps
your new paper in Cladistics will shed some light on the exact sequence.
     I would informally apply the name "Tenthredinoidea" to Clade 3
(Xyelotomidae to Cimbicidae).  Clade 3B+ would be Blasticotomidae to
Cimbicidae (i.e., sensu medio; your sensu lato?), and Clade 3C+ would be
Electrotomidae to Cimbicidae (i.e. "sensu stricto).  In the Kinman System
only the main ranks (Family, Order, Class, etc.) have formal names, and
intermediate ranks (like superfamilies, suborders, etc.) are informal---such
as "Tenthredinoidea" (which in this classification can also be called Clade
3).  A few final comments appear below the classification:

Order HYMENOPTERA
   1  Xyelidae
   2  Xyelydidae (fossil)
   B  Pamphiliidae
   C  Megalodontidae
   ?  Praesiricidae (fossil)
   3  Xyelotomidae (fossil)
   B  Blasticotomidae
   C  Electrotomidae (fossil)
      Argidae
      Pterygophoridae (= Pergidae)
      Tenthredinidae
      Cimbicidae
   4  Selpulcidae (fossil)
   B  Cephidae
   5  Gigasiricidae (fossil)
   B  Anaxyelidae
   6  Siricidae
   7  Xiphydriidae
   8  Paroryssidae (fossil)
   B  Orussidae
   9  Evaniidae and the
         rest of "Apocrita"
     Fewer formal names means fewer nomenclature problems (while the coding
still maintains all the sister group information).  Strict cladism
multiplies the numbers of formal names, and thus many more problems (and
phylocode plans to eliminate *ALL* ranks).  The Kinman System provides both
a synthesis and a compromise designed to end the cladisto-eclectic war (of
1966-2002... which unfortunately still continues).  So it goes.  :-(
                ---- Ken
P.S.  I am a bit concerned about the position of Siricidae in this
classification.  I think it might need to be moved up to a more primitive
(earlier branching) position.