Aves vs. Avepectora

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 27 01:08:20 CDT 2002

Curtis,
     Well, now that you have reminded me of this, I guess PhyloCode has no
redeeming values at all, and the news is all bad.
     I have pointed out before how clade Arctometatarsalia (anchored on
ornithomimosaurs) now contains ONLY ornithomimosaurs.  All the other taxa
with arctometatarsalian feet are not excluded, since it was based on a
character subject to multiple convergences.
     Yet the taxon persists because it still has an official phylogenetic
definition, and the confusion in the literature will just multiply as long
as strict cladists stubbornly insist on using it.  This taxon is no better
than Vermes.  The only difference is that for every Vermes which we used to
have, PhyloCode is likely to create dozens of new ones, and many synonymies
will eventually grow ten times longer than they already are.
     It is a nomenclatural Tower of Babel in the making, and in spite of
warnings (even by cladists like Benton and Platnick), the phylocodists
continue to market it as being some great achievement worth all the chaos it
will create.
         --- Give me a break,
                     Ken Kinman