slide scanners

Heike Vibrans heike at COLPOS.COLPOS.MX
Sun Oct 27 12:21:35 CST 2002

Dear taxacomers,

some time ago I asked for advice on slide scanners for a
massive slide-scanning project. There were a good number
of responses, both on- and offlist. In the end I decided
ask for Nikons Super Coolscan 8000 ED, which has a rather
steep price (about 1700 US dollars here in Mexico) but
apparently many satisfied customers. The associated
software is supposed to be particularly good.

However, recently I have been told that the Canon CanoScan
FS-4000US "does practically the same as the Nikon
Coolscan", but at a third of the price. The announced
resolution is the same for both scanners (4000 dpi), but
the technical specifications show some differences:  in
the light source, for example (cold cathode mercury
fluorescent lamp in Canon, and a LED-Array in Nikon), but
of which I do not know the advantages and disadvantages of
these. The data transfer is over different interfaces (USB
in Canon, IEEE1394, whatever that is, in Nikon) The Nikon
takes more formats (microscope slides, for example); that
is not so relevant for my present work, though it may be
in the future. The Canon is much smaller and lighter and
comes with a "light" Photoshop version, which Nikon lacks.

Does anybody have comparative experience with these
mashines?

Thanks.

Heike V.

Dra. Heike Vibrans L.
Laboratorio de Etnobotánica
Especialidad de Botánica
Colegio de Postgraduados en Ciencias Agrícolas
km 35.5 carr. México-Texcoco
53230 Montecillo
Estado de México, Mexico

Tel. +52 (595) 95 20 200 Ext. 1335 (directo), 1331
(secretaria), 1330 (dirección)
Fax. +52 (595) 95 20 247
Correo electrónico: heike at colpos.colpos.mx (trabajo)
heikev at prodigy.net.mx (casa)