Sensu lato

Dipteryx dipteryx at FREELER.NL
Sun Oct 27 18:12:37 CST 2002

A lot depends on what is meant by "formal".

1) The prime candidate for a meaning of "formal" would be a new "name sensu
ICxN". According to the ICBN it is not possible to publish a name "sensu
lato", or one of the other "sensu's". The ICBN mentions "sensu amplo, sensu
lato, sensu stricto, etc" only in Rec 47A.1

2) Another option might be as part of the Latin diagnosis, and this seems
possible, although great caution would be required.

3) Thirdly "formal" might be regarded as being part of a peer reviewed
publication. It is quite normal to use "sensu lato" here, as in:
      "Handeliodendron is traditionally regarded as being part of
Sapindaceae, but as remarked by Judd & al (1994) morphologically it belongs
in Hippocastanaceae. This is supported by pollen morphology (van der Ham,
1994) and wood anatomy (Klaassen, 1999), which show characters not found in
Sapindaceae s.str. but typical of Hippocastanaceae. However the APG approach
is to include both Aceraceae and Hippocastanaceae in a wider-defined
Sapindaceae s.l., although up till now no supporting analysis has been
published. In that sense Handeliodendron belongs in Sapindaceae s.l. but not
Sapindaceae s.str."

Personally when I use "formal" it would be in the first sense (and possibly
the second).

Paul van Rijckevorsel