Vespina is a clade name

Susanne Schulmeister susanne71_2000 at YAHOO.DE
Sun Oct 27 21:51:59 CST 2002

Hi,
>       Does anyone know if Vespina is a hymenopteran clade name?   The
> only
> Vespina I know of is a lepidopteran genus.  There is a hymenopteran
> clade
> Vespinae (subfamily within Vespidae), but surely that doesn't clade
> with
> Xiphydrioidea.
>       Please tell me that Susanne made a couple of typos, and that
> "Vespina"
> isn't a large clade of hymenopterans.  Otherwise, I think I will need
> take an aspirin and perhaps scream into a pillow.

It was introduced by Rasnitsyn (1988) for Apocrita+Orussidae. You can
also find it in that new "History of Insects" I mentioned, on page 244
(right margin). It may not be the best name for this clade, but I felt
that because that name is already out there in the literature, I can't
just go about and make up a new one. What is it that you hate so much
about that name?

Susanne

=====
Susanne Schulmeister
Division of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York, NY 10024

Opinions in this email are that of the sender, not the museum.