Uniform endings (was:"Vespina")

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 29 14:49:41 CST 2002

     Thank you Denis---that explains why "Vespina" was chosen.  Actually the
standard ordinal ending -ida and the subordinal ending -ina were both
proposed by Pearse in 1936, also used by Stenzel in 1950, as well as
Rohdendorf in 1977.  And the massive Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology
adopted at least the -ida standard ending as well (except for the insects,
which is a shame).  Are you sure -ina is mandated by ICZN for subtribes?  I
thought it was -ina for suborders and -ini for tribes.
     In any case, in this fine tradition of using -ida for invertebrate
orders, that is what I used in my 1994 book.  The only difference is that I
rejected "typification", which is what doomed all previous proposals (1911,
1932, 1936, 1950, 1953, 1977, and 1991) to failure.  And furthermore, I
adopted -iformes for chordate orders since the fish and birds (a majority of
the orders) already had that ending.
     In my classifications, -ida always indicates an invertebrate order and
-iformes a chordate order.  And of course, all botanical and bacteriological
orders are mandated to end in -ales.  With just three endings, it is easy to
teach and learn, and it does not clash with tradition.  Again, I do not
mandate typification of zoological names (to avoid the all the failures
mentioned to above).  Instead of Orders Vespida and Papilionida, I would use
Hymenopterida and Lepidopterida (these names are instantly recognizable,
even with the two letters inserted).  And by the way, I am not the only one
using -ida endings for insect orders (even though the "Treatise"
unfortunately failed to implement their own tradition in the two insect
volumes).
      Botanists came to an agreement about ordinal names a long time ago,
whereas zoologists failed to do so.  Botany reaped the rewards of its
decision, and zoology has suffered the consequences of indecision and
sweeping the problem under the rug.  Thus it should NOT be surprising that
proposals to abolish the Linnaean System almost always come from zoologists.
  By the way, this means that Botany is well positioned to ride out the
coming storm (zoological nomenclature will continue to be phylocode's
"guinea pig" and bear the brunt of whatever that experiment might bring).
              ----- Ken Kinman
P.S.  So Susanne, you can see that it is a little difficult for me to
"relax".  We can negotiate a peace now, or we will suffer from even bigger
battles ahead.  We either learn from our mistakes in the last century, or we
go on making even bigger ones this century (and the solutions will become
increasingly more difficult and costly).  Perhaps I should have been a
botanist.  Now where did I put that aspirin bottle???  Or maybe a scream
into a pillow will have to do for now.