Vespina

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at ISTAR.CA
Tue Oct 29 10:54:58 CST 2002

"Barry M. OConnor" wrote:

> At 3:49 PM +0100 10/29/02, Susanne Schulmeister wrote:
> >I still argued that we can't ignore a name that's out there simply
> >because we do not like how and why it was formed....
>
> Actually, we can, as long as it's for an animal taxon above the family
> group, because such names aren't regulated by the ICZN.

* well, under the ICZN you can *not use* the name, but if priority is
the fundamental principle of nomenclature, you can't *ignore* it (in the
sense of not seriously weighing the consequences of using a younger
name).

fred.
       Eastern    Ontario    Biodiversity    Museum
        Box 1860, Kemptville, Ontario, Canada K0G 1J0
           Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
Frederick W. Schueler, Aleta Karstad, Jennifer Helene Schueler
RR#2 Bishops Mills, K0G 1T0 on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain
       18TVE 446 687, 44* 52'N 75* 42'W (613)258-3107
                 http://www.home.istar.ca/~bckcdb