Vespina

Susanne Schulmeister susanne71_2000 at YAHOO.DE
Tue Oct 29 21:24:43 CST 2002

 --- "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb at ISTAR.CA> schrieb:
> "Barry M. OConnor" wrote:
> >
> > At 3:49 PM +0100 10/29/02, Susanne Schulmeister wrote:
> > >I still argued that we can't ignore a name that's out there simply
> > >because we do not like how and why it was formed....
> >
> > Actually, we can, as long as it's for an animal taxon above the
> family
> > group, because such names aren't regulated by the ICZN.
>
> * well, under the ICZN you can *not use* the name, but if priority is
> the fundamental principle of nomenclature, you can't *ignore* it

thanks, that's what I meant, actually. I meant "we can't" like "it
wouldn't be nice" or "we ought not to". I meant the "moral" rule of
priority, out of respect for other people's previous efforts.
(In addition to trying to keep the number of names down.)

Susanne

=====
Susanne Schulmeister
Division of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York, NY 10024

Opinions in this email are that of the sender, not the museum.