Electronic publication

Ron at Ron at
Thu Oct 31 20:40:18 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Mesibov" <mesibov at SOUTHCOM.COM.AU>
To: <TAXACOM at USOBI.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 7:50 PM
Subject: Electronic publication

> A separate issue is print vs. CD. Under section 8.6 of the Code, could we
> not issue the CD as our 'primary' version, with a screen-print label and
> on-CD information on date of publication, etc? In that case, would the
> paper version not be a published work, but just a copy like the online
version?

> Dr Robert Mesibov

My answer to this is yes, a CD is the "published" document if meeting other
rather simple requirements.  See page XXV second paragraph. Only ink on
paper was removed in 1985, and now read-only laser disks are admitted.   I
think it is very important to know what the mind-set of the Commission is.
It is progressive.  But it is cautious.  The ICZN does not want a situation
where they have to say.  Ooops, let's back peddle on that one.

I do not think the term "CD" is used in the Code.  the term on page XXV and
XXVII is "laser-discs".  When we at TILS determined to utilize read only
CDs we asked some computer types and got different answers.  They are
written and read with lasers - so CDs are laser-discs in some tech's
termonology.   One said they are old, big, record sized digital discs ???
The Glossary does not define "laser-disc".  To us a CD is simple a
"compact" laser-disc.  We print between 200 and 500 of each issue on paper
and then the entire Volume on CD annually.

We use high quality CDs - and have been told they should last a few hundred
years if properly cared for.  Is the same with true with paper?  How many
times have we wanted to find a mearly 100 year old publication and not been
able to as most copies are destroyed.  BUT most importantly, I find one of
my biggest frustrations in dealing with really old book is that the painted
pictures are now way off from the original colors.  So have these "paper"
publications really been preserved?   I say no.  Sure, one can read the
text fine (if the pages are all there or not broken up).  But the pictures
are yellowed, stained, and colors deteriorated.  Sorry, I will bet any
money any one wants that in 100 years our CDs will still have the texts and
photos _exactly_ as the day they were first published, while the paper
copies will no longer be the same.   Paper is not durable!   Fire, water,
oils from fingers, mould, bugs, light etc.  Let's quit making paper out to
be something it is not.  Stone is a better media for those who want
realllll durability. Engraved on granite - just go to the cemetery.  Been
out in the elements for 600 years and still legible.  Set the book, CD, and
rock out there and I'll bet on the rock every time. Hey, they don't say
"written in stone" for nothin'.

Ron Gatrelle