Fw: Etymology of a daffodil

Dipteryx dipteryx at FREELER.NL
Mon Sep 9 08:54:13 CDT 2002

I don't know. However some notes:

- By its form "assoana/us/um" is derived from Asso or Assoa, either a
geographical feature or a person

- There does exist a geographical Asso, somewhat North of Milan, Italy.

- There is also a Spanish botanist Ignatius d'Asso (Ignacio Jordan de Asso y
del Rio, 1752-1814) who once had a genus Assonia named after him (now
included in Dombeya, STR/MLV s.l.).

- A look in IPNI gives eight species names with the epithet "assoan%", most
of which are from Spain

The safe bet is that these Spanish plants were named after the Spanish
botanist.

I trust you will not fail to point out to Jim Shields that to call
"assoana" a "species name" is an atrocious barbarity, showing a callous
disregard for plants ;-). The species name is "Narcissus assoanus".

Best,
Paul van Rijckevorsel
Utrecht, NL