Fw: [coleoptera] Raw's private collection note

Robin Leech releech at TELUSPLANET.NET
Thu Sep 26 09:31:07 CDT 2002

Why would anyone encourage a private collection?
Simple!  I agree with Richard, and add my own comments.

Suppose I work for a museum "by day" and on Tenebrionidae,
but go home at night and work on my collection of Dytiscidae.
I have been working on dytiscids since I was an undergrad,
but when I was hired, I was asked to work on tenebrionids.
Can it be much simpler than that?
Alternatively, suppose I work "by day" on tenebrionids, and
my wife, who is also a trained entomologist, and who is NOT
employed by a museum, works parts of each day and evening
on her weevil collection.  My wife has had a weevil collection
since high school days, it is a large collection, well organized,
and there are several types in it.
Why should she not be able to keep and maintain her own
collection?

Now, getting on with real life, I maintain my own collection
of spiders and arachnids.  I do NOT work for a museum
or university.  My collection has been made available to
researchers at the MCZ and the AMNH, to name but
a few.
There is type material in my collection.

Robin Leech