OVERVIEW. The University of Iowa Herbarium (IA): Endangered. The Museum of Natural History: Threatened.

Curtis Clark jcclark at CSUPOMONA.EDU
Mon Apr 14 22:32:23 CDT 2003

At 21:30 2003-04-14, Ken Kinman wrote:
>      I personally believe that cladism in its strict form is one of the key
>causes (or at least a symptom or side-effect) of such trends, one which has
>not been sufficiently resisted over the past 30 years.

Despite the fact that strict cladists are the source of all evil, these
forces were already in motion in botany back when cladists weren't even
plentiful enough to be the lunatic fringe. At least two jobs I interviewed
for in the late 1970s weren't filled because administrators felt that
cellular and molecular approaches were science, but systematics and
non-theoretical ecology weren't.

Curtis Clark                                     jcclark at csupomona.edu
Biological Sciences                              Voice +1 909 869-4062
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona    Fax +1 909 869 4078
Pomona CA 91768 USA                 http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/