collections and evil collectors

Ron at Ron at
Thu Apr 17 15:27:06 CDT 2003

Political correctness is a reality.  Over the last century "collectors"
have become synonymous with poachers in some circles.   This prejudice has
now moved down the food chain from birds to bugs. I am convinced there is a
direct correlation between the view of collectors as evil and collections
as not needed.

If the above is accurate, then this is not just a pragmatic issue with
pragmatic solutions, it is a perception issue.   Science has not taken a
stand against radical environmentalism.  (I see conservationists and
environmentalists differently, with the latter being far more political and
agenda orientated.)

Ron Gatrelle