systematics grad students wanted

Morgan Vis vis-chia at OHIO.EDU
Thu Dec 18 12:21:45 CST 2003

Seeking students interested in pursuing graduate degrees (MS or PhD) in the
research areas of Systematics & Biogeography of Algae.  In Fall 2004, I
plan to take 1 or 2 new graduate students into my laboratory.

At present I have NSF funding to study the systematics and biogeography of
the Batrachospermales (freshwater Rhodophyta). Students would be funded
each year with ½ research assistantship and ½ teaching
assistantship.  There are collecting trips planned to the Southern
Hemisphere in which students will be encouraged to participate. The
research is centered on building a robust molecular phylogeny of the
Batrachospermales using at least rbcL and LSU gene data.

The Department of Environmental and Plant Biology offers a MS degree, which
has at its core a broad training in plant sciences through course work. We
also have a PhD program administered through the Department of Biological
Sciences. In that program a student can follow either Ecology and
Evolutionary Biology or a Molecular and Cell Biology track. For more
information on admissions requirements, graduate programs and stipends,
please see the departmental website at
http://www.plantbio.ohiou.edu/epb/grad/graduate.htm

If interested, please email me directly with your interest and resume.

Cheers, Morgan Vis

Dr. Morgan L. Vis
Associate Professor
Environmental & Plant Biology
Ohio University  Athens OH  45701 USA
Phone 740 593-1134 Fax 740 593-1130
E-mail vis-chia at ohio.edu
Internet www.plantbio.ohiou.edu
Be sure to check out the algae homepage (lots of algae images)
at  http://vis-pc.plantbio.ohiou.edu
& the latest Phycological Society of America information
at http://www.psaalgae.org