Phasmida

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at ISTAR.CA
Sat Feb 1 14:39:03 CST 2003

Ken Kinman wrote:

>  I suspect that Whiting and colleagues may simply be overestimating the probability that the first member of Phasmida was wingless.  If this assumption is wrong...

* I wonder if the fact that so little mention (=none) is made in the
press releases (which are all I've seen) about the characteristics of
the 're-evolved' wings indicate that Ken is right about this. If wings
were switched off for millions of years you'd expect that the
subsequently 're-switched on' wings would have distinctively degraded
veination, at the very least, or some other distinctive characteristics
of articulation or musculature.

fred.
       Eastern    Ontario    Biodiversity    Museum
        Box 1860, Kemptville, Ontario, Canada K0G 1J0
           Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
Frederick W. Schueler, Aleta Karstad, Jennifer Helene Schueler
RR#2 Bishops Mills, K0G 1T0 on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain
       18TVE 446 688, 44* 52'N 75* 42'W (613)258-3107
                     http://pinicola.ca
subscribe to the Eastern Ontario Natural History list-serve
by sending "subscribe eobm-nat" in the body of a message to
<majordomo at mail2.storm.ca>