Nameless Taxonomy and Senseless Babble

Mon Feb 3 13:10:18 CST 2003

At 07:22 AM 2/3/03 -0600, Richard Zander wrote:

>Facts are well documented observations, and inferred patterns are one step
>removed. Although theories can be validly called knowledge when well
>documented and proven valuable in predictions, most DNA-based cladograms
>are not quite yet promoted to the status of "knowledge."

I would consider the actual nucleotide sequences to be "fact" and the
cladograms derived from these facts to be hypotheses in need of testing.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA

e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu
phone:      920-424-1002
fax:           920-424-1101

Plant systematics; classification, nomenclature, evolution, and biogeography
of the Campanulaceae s. lat.

Webpages: