Nameless Taxonomy and Senseless Babble

Mon Feb 3 12:25:34 CST 2003

I agree both with Richard Zander's comments, and Tom Lammers' below.  I
think I was at fault in not being more explict in my line that Richard
quoted:

"We now find ourselves struggling to merge the knowledge of the past
(written in Latin nomenclature), with the knowledge of the present (written
in DNA sequences and cladograms)."

As I wrote to him off-list earlier this morning, whereas the DNA sequences
are indeed a form of "factual" knowledge (assuming they are not in error),
the cladograms are obviously an example of communicating pattern (i.e.,
hypotheses), rather than fact.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that DNA sequences and cladograms constituted
the *only* sort of "knowledge" of the present -- just a form of knowledge
that wasn't available throughout most of the history of latin nomenclature.
the main point was that the nomenclature and the cladograms are the
mechanisms we use to put the factual knowledge into context; rather than
constituting factual knowledge themselves.

Aloha,
Rich