Barcoding (animal) life

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at MOBOT.ORG
Tue Feb 4 11:12:35 CST 2003

A.M.:
By reliably identifying organisms, you mean like forensic DNA typing? Is
that what taxonomists do? Identify organisms?

I think taxonomists do a lot more. As to money, we taxonomists have 250
years of the Linnaean endeavor behind us and have generated or mediated
great economic gains for the human race. A billion dollars is to laugh at.
(Oh, that's slightly rhetorical, since my 2004 research budget is presently
zero.)

Sure, I agree with you that molecular and morphological work can proceed
simultaneously. The fact that it is mainly molecular work that is now funded
(grants, positions) indicates that such synergy must be rare and getting
rarer. The Planetary Biodiversity Inventory now supported by the U.S.'s
National Science Foundation is a worthy exception.

_Everybody_ ducks my concerns about the statistical basis behind reliability
of phylogenetic estimation. Your response, Andrew, ("Yawwn") is at least
novel.

R.Z.
Richard H. Zander
Bryology Group