Disappearing taxonomists...

Jan Bosselaers dochterland at PANDORA.BE
Tue Feb 4 21:15:38 CST 2003

Hendrik Segers wrote:

> At 10:10 PM 2/3/2003 +0000, Tony Irwin wrote:
>
>> The time seems to be rapidly approaching when alpha taxonomy will
>> once again
>> be practised almost exclusively by ardent amateurs, the professional
>> taxonomist being just a quirky 20th-century phenomenon.
>

> And then when taxonomy will become fashionable again (which may happen
> one day, after people start realizing how much money and effort get
> lost because of poor taxonomy), professional taxonomists will have to
> again spend years to clean up the mess created by some (!) of these
> ardent amateurs...
>
> Dr. Hendrik Segers

Hmm, faut pas generaliser. Although a professional biologist, I am an
amateur taxonomist and I spent a few years trying to clean up some -
admittedly hard to avoid -  mess created by professionals that preceded
me in a few spider families. But I admit that in some fashionable groups
(basidiomycetes, gastropod molluscs, butterflies), ardent amateurs
inflicted quite a bit of damage, sometimes driven by commercial motives.

Regards,

Jan

Dr. Jan Bosselaers
"Dochterland", R. novarumlaan 2
B-2340 Beerse, Belgium               tel / fax 32-14-615896
home: dochterland at pandora.be  /  hortipes at dochterland.org
work: jbossela at janbe.jnj.com
web: http://www.dochterland.org/ or http://wyith.ch/home/dochterland.org/

"You know I used to lose my mind, but now I'm old, now I'm free...
I see waves break in foams on my horizons, I'm shining..." The Chemical Brothers