Status of the Biocode

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 5 12:58:24 CST 2003

Dear All,
      I think it would be helpful if we just explicitly label two major
kinds of registration:  "Linnaean registration" might be a good name for
what most of us are referring to, and "PhyloCode registration" has that
additional layer of circumscription.  Or is that too simplistic?
     Perhaps there are differing views on what kind of Linnaean registration
system would be best, and what works for bacteriologists will probably need
modification for it to work for zoologists.  But these are just variations
on a Linnaean theme, and they are fundamentally different from the
definition-dependent circumscription of PhyloCode registration.  Or have I
missed the point of the discussion?
       ------ Cheers,
                   Ken Kinman