Biogeography and geological evidence etc.

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at ISTAR.CA
Wed Feb 5 09:56:45 CST 2003

john grehan wrote:

> The example with the Galapagos was a biogeographic pattern as an
> empirical observation informing a geological conjecture.

* I wonder, without evaluating the merits of any particular approach or
example, if one cause of misunderstanding between pan- and nonpan-
biogeographers isn't what one might call the different levels off
synthesis. Pans want to construct purely distributional scenerios, in
order to to be able to say what's purely biogeographic, and test these
for agreement with the rest of earth history at the level of
agreement/disagreement between scenerios based on data from different
fields, while nonpans don't care so much if their biogeographic
scenerios contain non-distributional (e.g. geological) elements, and
test these directly against individual 'facts' of various kinds.

Individual temperment, as well as availablitiy of data, may infuence
which approach is more productive in particular situations, and each has
its particular perils (as in any formal vs eclectic choice of method),
but maybe neither is necessarily more appropriate or 'scientific...'

fred.
       Eastern    Ontario    Biodiversity    Museum
        Box 1860, Kemptville, Ontario, Canada K0G 1J0
           Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
Frederick W. Schueler, Aleta Karstad, Jennifer Helene Schueler
RR#2 Bishops Mills, K0G 1T0 on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain
       18TVE 446 688, 44* 52'N 75* 42'W (613)258-3107
                     http://pinicola.ca
subscribe to the Eastern Ontario Natural History list-serve
by sending "subscribe eobm-nat" in the body of a message to
<majordomo at mail2.storm.ca>