Status of the Biocode

B.J.Tindall bti at DSMZ.DE
Thu Feb 6 08:13:16 CST 2003

Just to make sure that we do not appear to disagree I raised points to
which Richard has now outlined the good practical reasons for "indexing"
and maintaining links to synonyms. I think one of the major problems in
zoology and botany is that there is a justified fear that "modernising
systematics" will mean throwing 250 years of background out of the window.
In creating a new starting date in bacteriology we were careful to maintain
that link to the valuable literature of the past. If you don't you have
chaos.
To those of you who will make use of Article 79 good luck - the
bacteriological equivalent can be found at:
http://www.bacterio.cict.fr/
Brian

At 17:49 5.2.2003 -1000, Richard Pyle wrote:

>> I have to disagree with Richard on the topic of Species 2000 (and perhaps
>> other lists). My contact with this group indicates that the lists should
>> contain only one name per species (i.e. synonyms are not
>> anticipated in the
>> system).
>
>No, I know...but the point is, these efforts have already compiled "lists"
>of names with their associated objective data (original description
>citations, authorship, etc.).  Granted, they are a SUBSET of existing names
>(i.e., they focus on just those particular names that happen to be currently
>regarded by someone or another as "valid" or "in current use"; and tend not
>to dwell on names widely regarded as "junior synonyms").  Some of the
>efforts (e.g. Catalog of Fishes) do not limit themselves only to "valid" or
>"in current use" names -- and indeed extend to ALL names that are
>"Code-compliant" (="available"/"validly published"); and even include names
>that are objective synonyms as well. But the point is, these efforts
>represent a start.  How willing these various list-holders are to transfer
>the fruits of their extraordinarily expensive and laborious efforts into the
>public domain is another issue, for which the list-holders themselves are
>justifiably in the position to decide.
>
>> I think what the end user community is asking taxonomy for at
>> present is to tell them which of the 5 synonyms which have appeared in the
>> last 250 years is the "proper" one to use.
>
>Yes -- that's been the focus...and for good practical reason (e.g., limited
>biodollars, priority needs, etc.).  When I bring up the point for including
>"non-valid" names (=names not used to represent a distinct taxonomic concept
>in recent years), people often respond, "Who, besides the nerdy taxonomists,
>care about all those synonyms?"  The fact is, EVERYONE who uses the Linnaean
>system of nomenclature SHOULD care!!! And here's why:
>
>As has been said on recent posts to this list, the strength of the Linnaean
>system of nomenclature is its 250-year legacy of data.  It has served as the
>contextual backbone upon which all this biological data is referenced.  If
>we put blinders on and focus only on those names that happen to be regarded
>as representing valid taxa today, then we miss out on all that legacy data
>that was referenced in the context of names that now happen to be regarded
>as non-valid.  If we are to claim access to this 250-year history of
>biological data, we need a way to reference it in the context of today's
>nomenclature.  So what we need, FIRST, is an INDEX of ALL names; upon which
>we can build a second-tier index (=thesaurus) of how those names have been
>used by different people over time, and thereby "reclaim" all the historical
>legacy data that exist in the context of names that don't happen to be
>regarded as valid by the experts du joir.
>
>Thanks also to Chris Thompson for your thoughtful reply on this topic!  In
> [...]

* Dr.B.J.Tindall      E-MAIL bti at dsmz.de                           *
* DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen GmbH *
* Mascheroder Weg 1b, D-38124 Braunschweig, Germany                *
* Tel.: ++ 531 2616 0 (general)                                    *
* Tel.: ++ 531 2616 224 (direct)                                   *
* Fax:  ++ 531 2616 418                                            *
* Fax:  ++ 531 2616 491 (ISDN)                                     *
* Homepage: http://www.dsmz.de/index.html                          *
* E-MAIL: contact at dsmz.de (general enquiries)                         *
*         sales at dsmz.de (sales)                                    *