DNA and all that

Thu Feb 6 07:37:00 CST 2003

At 02:27 AM 2/6/03 +0000, you wrote:
>      The text of "The Disappearance" appears to be available online at the
>following URL address:

Duane Isely was one of my very first botany profs as an undergrad, a
brilliant man and most engaging teacher who is much missed.  His essay "The
Disappearance" is a wonderfully articulate cautionary tale.  I still have
my plant tax students read it each year and write an essay in
response.  Another Isely essay, "Sequential Saviors," which appears in
Radford's 1986 textbook "Fundamentals of Plant Systematics" is also highly
germane to this thread.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA

e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu
phone:      920-424-1002
fax:           920-424-1101

Plant systematics; classification, nomenclature, evolution, and biogeography
of the Campanulaceae s. lat.

Webpages: