Blaming the victim (the Linnaean System)

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 6 15:38:55 CST 2003

Dear All,
     The problem with higher categories is that we already have way too many
of them these days (and of course, strict cladists want to insert many, many
more with taxon names even most biologists don't recognize or alter the
meaning of those we do recognize).  Taxon names in the basic categories
(Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order) are generally recognizable to most
biologists (and knowledgeable non-biologists as well), and we need that
framework more than ever.
      That's why I made those categories the core of my system (with the
option of using some intermediate categories if needed).  Between the
extremes of zero higher categories and huge numbers of higher categories,
this has always seemed like a happy medium to me.  As Doug pointed out,
higher taxa are a method (long successfully used) to universally communicate
broad relationships, and some minimal indication of higher categories will
continue to be useful to a lot of people (biologists and non-biologists
alike).
    In my opinion, it is only "baggage" if it is excessive.  Strict cladism
has generated the bulk of that excess (and yet they are the ones who usually
complain the loudest that the Linnaean System is inadequate to handle it).
It's not the fault of the "tool" if it not used properly and in moderation,
and it seems high time an influential clique of American zoologists (in
particular) accept the blame for the mess they've created instead of blaming
the victim and then accelerate their own immoderate behavior.
      Sorry Fred, but a bit of grumping seemed appropriate here.  Blaming
the victim (the Linnaean System and its moderate number of higher
categories) just doesn't make sense to me, and that such attacks have become
ever more frequent is a cause for concern.  Very much like this increasing
tendency to downplay the successes of morphology and overly shift too many
eggs into the molecular basket.  It's just too elitist, wasteful,
short-sighted, and generally immoderate.
          ------ Sincerely,
                     Ken Kinman