Blaming the victim (the Linnaean System)

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at ISTAR.CA
Thu Feb 6 22:42:41 CST 2003

Kipling Will wrote:

> As you say the non-expert knows he/she has an Insect and so can
> immediately discount all other Classes of Animals that are in other
> parts of the book or library. Not so with a rank-less system since
> Insecta could mean any part of the hierarchy from populations to all
> life. It makes no exclusive statement without a rank or without a
> phylogeny at hand.

* I'm not sure what I'm being misunderstood as saying here - all I'm
proposing to abandon is categories - the name and taxon Insecta are
still there, with all the rules for forming names, and all the
relationships with super-ordinate and sub-ordianate taxa - it's just
that I'm not saying that Insecta is a something called a "Class" -
whatever that may mean beyond Insecta traditionally being called a
Class.

fred.
       Eastern    Ontario    Biodiversity    Museum
        Box 1860, Kemptville, Ontario, Canada K0G 1J0
           Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
Frederick W. Schueler, Aleta Karstad, Jennifer Helene Schueler
RR#2 Bishops Mills, K0G 1T0 on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain
       18TVE 446 688, 44* 52'N 75* 42'W (613)258-3107
                     http://pinicola.ca
subscribe to the Eastern Ontario Natural History list-serve
by sending "subscribe eobm-nat" in the body of a message to
<majordomo at mail2.storm.ca>